Skip to main content

Let the kids Learn!

Me to my six year old: It’s 6 o’clock, time to start getting ready for bed

Him to me: No mum, it’s two minutes to six. I have two minutes!

You may be thinking, cheeky child but I’m thinking, he can tell time to the minute now? And on and on it goes with his detailed time telling. It makes me smile because at the start of the summer (at the end of Year 1) he couldn’t confidently tell me the time at o’clock or half past. Never have I sat down with him to teach him the time, nor has one worksheet been used to formalise his learning of time. So how did he learn?

I decided to share this to explain how I help my kids and other kids I have the privilege of teaching, learn. 
I help them learn! And that’s my focus. I don’t focus on teaching, I focus on helping them learn. They do the learning, I help them achieve what’s already in them, the ability and the desire to learn!

IT STARTS WITH CREATING THE RIGHT ENVIRONMENT:
I have a time teaching clock on the wall in his room (most of us have that) I excitedly hang it up and ask him to help me. Then I put a time telling poster under the clock. He is less interested in it so I don’t draw attention to it. I have a time telling place mat too and a few toy clocks which are mostly ignored, but hey they are there!!!

GENERATE AN INTEREST:
Usually the kids are interested (if it looks like fun) so this should be easy. The problem is we take their interest and quite often KILL IT with our seriousness! They lose interest and then it’s hard to get them back. My 3 year old is interested in the measuring tape so I don’t sit him down and teach him how to read it do I? And I’m sure you don’t either, you probably just let them have fun measuring everything and jotting down whatever they feel like. The problem is once we think they should know this by now, we stop the fun and bring out the worksheets!!!

START SMALL AND LET THE CHILD DICTATE THE PACE: 
So we start with o’clock and half past. Once he’s got that (how I got him to learn that is worth explaining too but not in this post) I stay there. Whenever the time is on the hour or half past the hour I make some seemingly unintentional conversation about the time that causes him to say casually, it is 6 o’clock or it is half past six. I don’t ask directly (stress tension can cause them to freeze). You know what happens when you ask your child to perform in front of friends/family! Instead, it should be a casual conversation where telling the time (in his mind) is not the focus. Soon he starts saying, mummy it’s almost half past or it has gone past half past. This gives me the confidence that he has got that bit and is ready to move on!

The key is starting small and letting them own that new knowledge and feel confident with it. If we move too quickly (before the knowledge is set), it all comes crumbling down. The problem is once we think they should know this by now, we rush, we push, we put them on the spot, “c’mon now, we’ve done this before!!!” We bring out more worksheets!

Now when your child sees a clock they run to the other side of the room 😅


Usually, as CONFIDENCE GROWS, their ENJOYMENT INCREASES, they want to learn more and the cycle continues. At this point I start the process again but upping the ante. I bring in fun games to help tell the time. I set timed challenges, I continue to let them dictate the pace but I make sure my response allows them deepen their knowledge.

SO WHEN DO I BRING OUT THE WORKSHEETS?
Worksheets and workbooks are great for practise and reinforcement . They are not (in my opinion) the way to begin the learning process. I just had a fun game of time-telling with my six and three year old where he deepened his understanding, was challenged but was also rolling on the floor (literally) laughing. He also was helping his younger brother answer the questions. It was a lot of fun and a lot of learning was done! At some point in his workbook (of which I have many, don’t you worry), he will come across time and should feel confident enough to answer the questions.

AH! WHAT IF HE GETS AN ANSWER WRONG YOU SAY?: 
I’m sure that because there has been no stress and anxiety in the process of learning, he will have no issue coming to me to ask how to tackle the problem in the beloved worksheet 😝. I’m sure of this because this is not the first time I have used this process with him and other kids and so they are not afraid of making mistakes….

Making mistakes and ‘failure’, the next big issues I’d like to address!

Learning is fun! Let's keep it that way 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why teaching your child is like water slowly dropping on a stone

Some of us will admit that helping our children learn to read, write, do their times tables or pretty much anything learning related can feel like watching drops of water continuously fall onto a stone without any impact. Sometimes we get frustrated and want to give up or we try to quicken the flow, but this only leads to more confusion and frustration on the part of child. We soon realise that we have to return to drops of water ... drip...   drip...   drip... "The constant dripping of water wears away a stone" - Lucretius Join the conversation here  Help your Child Love Learning  and follow for more tips, quotes and videos and to get your questions answered directly   Well, this is what children need to help them learn most effectively. The slow, but continuous drops of information allows the child process the information, make sense of it and make it their own. They are better able to retain what it is they are learning and make further connections that help deep

Let Kids Self Correct!

One of the key areas I focus on with pupils is self correction . Self correction improves confidence and increases independence in learning. When it comes to learning, I allow children to make mistakes and I don't always jump in to correct them at the time. Instead, I focus on the positive outcome of their learning and create an environment for self correction . This could be as simple as keeping a dictionary handy or a poster with the correct answers which they can check themselves. The analogy I usually use is this: Imagine your little one makes you breakfast in bed on Mothers' or Fathers' day. The child walks up to you carrying a tray of food, beaming excitedly. They search your eyes and wait for your songs of praise for what they've done! And then you respond, with a smile of course, "thank you [insert name], how thoughtful of you. You've done a really good job, but look there are visible egg shells in the omelette, you spilled juice in the plate ma

Why we need to talk to our kids about practise!

We all agree that practise is important to achieve mastery in any skill. Nobody who wants to master a skill can escape it and no one who wants to maintain their current level can avoid it. Whilst the importance of practise is obvious to us parents, I find that we don't make it very obvious to our children. The problem with this is if children fail to attribute their improvements to practise then they inevitably become reluctant to practise as they get older.  Why?  Because practise is tough, it takes diligence, patience, and self-motivation. Without realising the huge benefit that awaits you, it is very difficult to keep up with practise.  We therefore owe it to our kids to help them understand what practise is, and how important it is for life-long learning.    If your kids are anything like mine or the numerous kids I've taught over the years, you'll know that they hardly ever attribute any of their success to the practise and dedication they've put in. The usual resp